Unit 8 Our Clothes
Topic 2 Different jobs require different uniforms.
Can you say something about the art of dressing?
They are fat.
Ask them to try on a coat in a dark color.
She is slim. Advise her to wear clothes in warm colors.
He/ She is short.
Advise them to wear a short coat and slim pants.
1a Read and understand
June 2nd Dear Judy,
How is your business? Are you busy? I want to tell you something about the art of dressing.
If a fat person enters your shop, you’d better ask him or her to try on a coat in a dark color. It will make him or her look slimmer. If a slim girl enters your shop, you’d better advise her to wear clothes in warm colors, like red, yellow or orange. They will make her look more active. But if a short man or woman enters your shop, you can advise him or her to wear a short coat and slim pants. They will make him or her look taller. It is important that you show suitable clothes to each customer.
I hope your business goes well. Yours, Tom
1b Work alone
Complete the sentences according to 1a.
1. It is true that a fat person in a dark color _lo_o_k_s_ _sl_i_m_m__e_r.
2. It is suitable for a _sl_i_m_ _g_ir_l_ to wear clothes in warm colors.
3. It is suitable that a short person should wear a _s_h_o_r_t coat and _s_l_im___ pants.
4. It is _im__p_o_r_t_a_n_t to show suitable clothes to _ea_c_h_ customer.
Discuss and give your classmates some advice on their dressing.
1. … you’d better advise her to wear clothes in warm colors, … advise sb. to do sth.意为“建议、劝告某 人做某事”。又如： The doctor advised me to take a rest. 医生让我休息。
(1) “建议、劝告某人不要做某事”可以 表示为：advise sb. not to do sth.或者 advise sb. against (doing) sth. 如： They advised her not to marry quickly. = They advised her against marrying quickly. 他们劝她不要太快结婚。
(2) advise后还可以跟-ing和that从句。如： We advised that they should start early./ We advised them to start early. 我们建议他们应该及早开始。 She advised giving us different answers. 她建议给我们不同的答案。
2 Written work
Discuss what you should shouldn’t wear and in school. Why do you think so? Then write down your ideas.
3a Grammar focus Object clauses (III)
It depends on who will design our uniforms. She asks what materials they should choose. Could you tell me when you wear your uniforms? Could you tell me where the special shoes are?
1.疑问词包括疑问代词(what, which, who, whose, whom, etc.)和疑问副词(when, how, where, why, etc.)。
2. 疑问词引导的宾语从句要用陈述语序。 In one’s own home one can do what one likes. 在自己家里可以随心所欲。
That depends on where we shall go. 那取决于我们去哪儿。
把下列句子连接成含有宾语从句的复合句。 1. What are they talking about? I want
to know. I want to know what they are talking about. 2. How can I get to the train station? Can you tell me? Can you tell me how I can get to the train station?
3. Which Chinese dish is Tom’s favorite? Kangkang asks. Kangkang asks which Chinese dish is Tom’s favorite.
4. When will we begin our class? I asks Maria. I asks Maria when we will begin our class.
3b Useful expressions
I like to wear my own clothes because school uniforms will look ugly on us. I think our school should allow us to design our own uniforms. I think he should wear a shirt with a tie and leather shoes.
It’s true that suitable uniforms can show good discipline. It is important to wear suitable clothes on every occasion. It’s necessary for us to wear sports shoes on the playground.
1. Design your favorite school uniforms, and draw it in the box.
My Favorite School Uniform
2. Describe it using as many sentences as you can.
3. Give a report to the class.
( D )1. It is very important for you A. believe B. believing
C. believes D. to believe
( B )2. If a short man enters your shop, you can
him or her short coat and tight trousers.
A. advice; to wear B. advise; to wear C. advice; wearing D. advise; wearing
( A )3. The teacher gave our parents some at the parents’ meeting.
A. advice B. advices C. advise D. advises
( A )4. It is cold outside. You you go out.
your coat if
A. had better put on
B. had better to put on
C. had better not put on
D. had better not to put on
1. Revise what you have learned during this period of class.
2. Preivew Section A topic 3